- What is Agent created for
- Agent installation
- Agent unattended installation
- Getting started with Agent
- Content filtering settings
- Creating additional filtering profiles (paid plans only)
- Binding local users to the filtering profiles (paid plans only)
- Filtering schedule
- Protecting Agent with password
- Agent's tray icon use
Video tutorial #1: SafeDNS Agent Installation
Video tutorial #2: SafeDNS Agent Settings and Features
The agent software is designed to automatically launch and manage the SafeDNS web filtering service on Windows-based computers. The Agent should be installed on the PC when you have a private (local) or a dynamic public IPv4 address or you want to have a separate web filtering policy for each Windows-based computer within your network.
Attention! If you want to configure the SafeDNS web filtering service for an entire network you can find information about the available settings in the Instructions section of our website.
1. To download Agent log into your account using registration email and password. If you have already downloaded Agent from a software site then skip this step and go to step 3.
2. On the first page of Dashboard click the Download SafeDNS Agent link and save the file on your computer.
3. Make sure your current Windows user account has Administrator rights. Run the saved file safedns-agent-setup.exe and install Agent on your computer following the program prompts. If you see Win SmartScreen alert, click Run anyway to start the installation.
4. After the successful installation Agent will be launched automatically.
You can install Agent in an unattended automatic way. This allows you to automatically install and launch the service, manage the filtering policies and collect web traffic statistics on several individual computers within your network. Learn how to install Agent in unattended mode.
1. After the first launch, you need to enter your login (registration email) and password.
2. If you forgot your password click the Forgot my password link and recover it with the password recovery service.
3. If you download Agent not from the SafeDNS website and don’t have an active SafeDNS account, then you can register directly from Agent following the Create one link at the bottom of the window.
4. After the successful authorization Home page of the program will be opened. This page contains:
- Current status of the filtering service in the center
- Active filtering profile on the top
- On/Off slider button at the bottom
5. You can temporarily shut down the filtering by clicking on the slider button at the bottom of the window (your password is required if the settings are password protected).
1. To set up your filtering rules go to the Content filtering settings section.
2. Attention! The new filtering policy applies in several minutes after its changing. If blocking doesn't work according to your new filtering policy then restart your browser to clear its cache. For more information see FAQ.
3. If you have more than one filtering profile, you can choose the necessary profile at the top of the window (for paid plans only). If you click on the Plus button you will proceed to Profiles section where you can create a new profile.
4. In Categories tab you can see a full list of content categories of your current filtering profile. In this tab, you can block or allow any of them. The red cross indicates blocked categories and the green check mark indicates allowed categories. Also, you can block or allow an entire group of categories by clicking on the group name. The gray cross near a group name means that some categories are blocked and some of them are allowed.
5. In Exceptions tab you can create black and white lists for individual sites or domains. Domains in your black list will always be blocked even if the category, these domains belong to, is allowed. Domains in your white list will always be accessible even if the category, these domains belong to, is blocked. If you want to block a group of subdomains, then just add the main domain (for example, google.com) in the black list and all subdomains on this domain will be blocked (subdomains like drive.google.com, translate.google.com, photos.google.com, etc).
6. Also, you can create named black or white lists and apply it to one or several different profiles (this option is available in Dashboard only). Learn more how to create named lists.
7. For the correct performance of your Internet Service Provider’s local resources such as media archives, online TV services, or your company’s local resources such as file share servers, printers, etc., add a local site name and IP-address of this site in Aliases tab.
8. You can manage additional settings such as Force Safe Search, Force Restricted Mode for YouTube and Use the White List only oprion in Additional settings tab.
Attention! All sites which are not added to a white list are blocked when Use the White List only option is active.
You always have one filtering profile named “Default”. It can not be deleted. Also, you can create additional profiles (for paid plans only) and use them to apply different filtering policies for:
- different user accounts on the same PC,
- different PCs with SafeDNS Agent installed.
To create a new filtering profile follow these steps:
1. Go to Profiles section on Settings page.
2. Type a name of the new profile in Create profile field. After that click the Plus button on the right to create a profile.
3. Now you can set up filtering policy for the new profile. It can be done in Settings > Content filtering settings. Also, if you press the Cogwheel icon near the profile’s name, you will be automatically redirected to the Content filtering settings of this profile.
4. To delete a profile press the Cross icon near the profile’s name.
5. You can set up one of your profiles as active in Active profile drop-down menu.
If you have several filtering profiles, you can bind local users on your PC to these profiles. In this case, the selected profile will be applied to the selected Windows user after his/her log into the system.
1. To bind a user to a filtering profile, go to Local users tab in Profiles section. Put a check mark to the Bind local users to profiles box to activate binding.
2. Choose the necessary Windows user in User drop-down menu. Then pick the necessary profile in the Profile drop-down menu and press the Plus icon.
3. To unbind a Windows user from a profile, press the Cross icon near the user’s name.
4. To turn off local users’ binding just remove the check mark from the Bind local users to profiles box.
Additional profiles can be used for a filtering schedule. You can choose the time for applying additional profiles, for the other time "Default" profile will be active. It allows you to apply different settings or limit web access at certain time periods in a single day. Schedule configuration is available in Dashboard on the SafeDNS website only. Learn how to set up a filtering schedule.
Actions like changing settings, uninstallation of Agent, pause of filtering, and profile changing are by default protected by your password.
Password protection can be deactivated in Settings > Common settings. To turn off password protection, remove the check mark from Protect settings with password box. We recommend it only if you're a sole user of your computer. Also, you can manage such additional setting as Show Agent icon in the system tray and Automatically check for updates.
To stop filtering or change the active profile you can use Agent’s tray icon. Just right click it and pick up the necessary action.
You can temporarily switch the filtering off for 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour and until start or reboot.
Also, you can change the active filtering profile from the tray icon.
If your settings are password protected, you will be asked for your password.
To hide Agent's icon in the system tray untick the Show Agent icon in the system tray box in Settings > Common settings.
If you have issues with the SafeDNS service or Agent, feel free to contact our technical support. You can find our contacts on Help page in Agent. The Get support button will redirect you to support form on the SafeDNS website. The Check for updates button allows you to automatically download the most recent version of SafeDNS Agent.
If SafeDNS Support asks you to send a system report, you can get it in Agent. To get the report click the System information button on Help page. This operation can take a few minutes. Then copy the report and send it to Support team via feedback form.