Unlike other content filtering systems that use simple schedules with a complete blocking of internet access based on time, the SafeDNS service uses a complex system of schedules that can be flexibly configured for any needs and any scenario. However, a greater flexibility brings more complexity to the setup of the schedule.
Profile settings will come into effect during active hours and during the rest of the time Default profile settings will be applied.
This system allows for a flexible schedule, so you can apply more advanced scenarios like:
- ‘Turning off the internet’ schedule, with the filtered internet for the rest of the time. This option is often used by parents to limit kids’ access to the internet during school hours.
- ‘Filtering of unproductive websites in the workplace’, with unlimited access during lunch break, before and after the working hours. Obviously, this scheduling is suitable for use within organizations.
- A more rigorous filtering in the hours when the computer is used by a child and less strict filtering (or lack of it) in the hours when the computer is used by adults.
Now we will look at how to set up and enable a schedule, and then look at common scenarios of the filtering schedule usage at home and in the organization.
To set up a schedule, you are supposed to have at least one additional profile on which you will enable the schedule.
- Log in to Dashboard.
- Go to Settings -> Profiles.
- Enter the name of the profile (e.g. Schedule profile) and click Add.
After creating the profile, you can start setting up a schedule.
- Go to Settings -> Schedule
- In the list of your profiles (upper right corner), select the recently created profile Schedule profile. Note that the Default profile does not appear in the list because no separate schedule can be enabled on it.
- Set the time during which Schedule profile should be active. The rest of the time the Default profile will be active. The appearance and functionality of the schedule depends on your service plan.
- Tick the checkbox Enable work on the schedule for this profile.
- Click Save.
After setting up the schedule you need to apply it to your network or individual computers.
You can have multiple profiles with different schedules for different users and networks, but note that the switch will always be between the current profile and the Default profile.
Scheduled settings switch at the wrong time:
Make sure that you have the correct time zone applied. In Dashboard go to Account -> Person, select the correct time zone and click Save.
The schedule works but blocking and unblocking occur with a delay:
Due to the caching of DNS queries at the system and browser level, your computer cannot immediately respond to blocking or unblocking issued by our service. To eliminate this, we recommend disabling automatic control of the browser cache.
The schedule isn't working at all:
Make sure that you have followed all of the above-mentioned steps on configuring the schedule. If everything is done correctly and the issue persists, contact our technical support team.